A History of the Hale Area
Civics Class – 8th Grade
People Today [NOTE: Remember this was written in 1962]
Most of the people of Hale today are of English, Irish, German or French descent. There is also Indians, who are of the Chippewa nation. Most of these people work in the woods either pulp wooding or at the mills; however, there is also businessmen, such as a banker, baker [NOTE: the homemade bread was great] and storekeepers.
The first white people to come to this community were fur traders and trappers. They came as early as 1800. Next came the lumbermen, who came because of the abundance of timber. These remained until the lumber ran out. Most of them left, but some stayed and made homes.
The people of Hale are what President Lincoln must have been thinking about when he made this remark: “God must have loved the plain people. He made so many of them.” Most of the people are friendly and ambitious. Quite a few of these people are farmers, who raise chiefly cattle and corn.
Opportunities for Work
In 1886 the first railroad was built. The real name for this railroad was the “D and M” (Detroit and Mackinaw), but because it made so many stops to load lumber, someone in a sprit of fun named it the “Cannonball,” and it has been known by that name ever since.
With the timber gone this cutover land was either sold or homesteaded. The people converted this land into farms and raised chiefly alfalfa and beans.
At the present time, the chief work opportunities have revered to the woods once again, where pulp wooders cut timber, and send it to the mills. The pallet mill also employees a number of people. Tree farms are also planted for Christmas Trees. These take about seven years to mature. The trees are then cut and sent to market to be sold.
The school hires a number of people who are employed as teachers, secretaries and custodians. Another business which does well in this area is real estate. Quite a few of the people support themselves by this means.
Types of Houses
Homes in the community may be built, bought, or rented.
Provisions for Education
The first school was the Esmond School located one mile south and two miles east of town.
The Assembly of God was started in 1946 by Bernadine
Swanson, who was a Buck [NOTE: Buck is family’s surname] girl.
The first services were held in the North School. Later on they decided
to move into Hale. The grange Hall was obtained and leased for a period
of five years. At that time the congregation numbered about twenty-two.
The present location of the Hale Assembly of God Church is located on
Church Street. They also have a parsonage one mile east of town [NOTE:
the word town refers to the four-corners where the stop light is today].
The Methodist Church is located approximately one-eight of a mile from town. This church also enjoys a number of activities among these are WSCS and MYF.
The Catholic Church, built in 1954, is located about three-fourths of a mile North of town. One of their activities is Alter Society.
The Baptist Church was built in 1900. The first minister
was Mr. Isaac Nunn, who was the grandfather of the present Geraldine